Wednesday, July 24, 2013

How to Make the Best Decision Possible

In January 1938, Saint Faustina wrote in her diary a beautiful passage about appreciating God and allowing us to be guided only by His Will, not ours. 

It gives us a good guide for making decisions. Pause for moment and ask yourself, as Faustina did, how the decision will impact my "eternal life and what may be the main reason for my undertaking it: is it for the glory of God, or for the good of my own soul, or for the good of the souls of others?" That simple reflection will offer clarity on the right way to proceed. Try it!

Saint Faustina said:
I want to live in the spirit of faith. I accept everything that comes my way as given me by the loving will of God, who sincerely desires my happiness. And so I will accept with submission and gratitude everything that God sends me. I will pay no attention to the voice of nature and to the promptings of self-love. Before each important action, I will stop to consider for a moment what relationship it has to eternal life and what may be the main reason for my undertaking it: is it for the glory of God, or for the good of my own soul, or for the good of the souls of others? If my heart says yes, then I will not swerve from carrying out the given action, unmindful of either obstacles or sacrifices. I will not be frightened into abandoning my intention. It is enough for me to know that it is pleasing to God. On the other hand, if I learn that the action has nothing in common with what I have just mentioned, I will try to elevate it to a loftier sphere by means of a good intention. And if I learn that something flows from my self-love, I will cancel it out right from the start. (Diary entry 1549)

No comments:

Post a Comment